*Video con subtítulos en Español.
Aah the yummy almond milk – you can’t skip out on this beautiful treat! You will wonder why on Earth do people drink cow’s milk when you can make fresh nut milk at home that tastes so amazing!
Sometimes people get put off because they don’t have a cheesecloth to strain the almonds, well you know what, you can use anything similar, you can even use a (clean) ladies sock or tights if you wish – its all the same!!
There’s no need to peel the almonds beforehand! If you get already peeled almonds they are blanched, i.e. heated very quickly so the skin falls off – which makes it technically not raw.
Equipment: blender, strainer, cheese cloth or something else for straining the milk
Ingredients for simple nut milk:
- 1/2 cup almonds (soaked for at least 8 hours) or cashews (soaked at least 2 hours)
- 1 cup water
How to make almond and spiced cashew milk:
Please see the video below for clear instructions on how to make simple almond milk and spiced cashew milk.
- Soak the nuts overnight. If you’re using un-peeled almonds, after you soak them, you can take the skin off with your fingers if you wish, but it wont make much difference to the taste (though it depends on the almonds).
- Put the nuts in a high speed blender (I recommend the Vitamix).
- Pour in water, just a centimetre or two over the almonds.
- Strain using anything you have: nut milk bag, cheese cloth, strainer or even just a pair of stockings will do.
This is enough for one person to cover their cereal in the morning…that’s if you don’t drink half of it by itself beforehand.