Yes it is absolutely possible to dry your crackers without a dehydrator and not use any fancy equipment at all – you’ll just need a spoon, a bowl and a tray for this recipe!
I came up with this recipe to help people who keep coming to my workshops and saying, “oh I wish I had a dehydrator, you can make such fancy things with it”. Thing is, you CAN make cool stuff without a dehydrator, you just need to use your imagination a little bit.
Makes: 1 tray
Ingredients for the gluten-free sun crackers:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 shallot (tiny onion) – finely minced
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. provincial herbs (mix of oregano, basil, thyme etc)
- 1/2 cup water
- Any herbs you like to change the flavour (optional)
How to make raw crackers in the sun:
- Finely chop the shallot.
- Feel free to crush the sunflower seeds in a food processor or with a knife beforehand if you so desire, but whole ones are fine too. I wanted to make this as easy as possible, so I used them whole.
- Just mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a spoon or your hands.
- Spread the mixture over a baking sheet on top of a tray or on a non-stick dehydrator sheet, making it as thick as you like. Mine was enough for one Sedona dehydrator sheet.
- Now you have 2 options: if you don’t have a dehydrator, just leave the tray in the sun for a few hours until they are done or in a dry shady place in your house if you have no sun (this may take longer). If you have a dehydrator, then dehydrate at 42ºC for 4-8 hours. Here in Spain in the summer, it’s actually faster doing this under the sun!